Our first CAD model has been improved over the last two weeks (these optimizations are discussed in the post Optimisation. This post will seek to give an overview of our final mechatronical design and the choices we have made during the mechanical design process.
The picture above shows an overview of our mechanical design in an exploded view. The parts were manufactured on a Zortrax 3d printer in the material ABS. During the process of prototyping different parts, we also used an Ultimaker to print parts in PLA, but ultimately we have found the ABS prints to be of much greater quality. This is partly due to the fact that ABS is stronger and less prone to chipping and grinding.
As mentioned in a previous post, the gears were designed using Inkscape. We decided to make two sets of spur gears, the big ones having 41 teeth and the small ones having 19. This gear ratio of 2,16 implies that the same teeth won’t meet each other very often, which should increase the life time of the system.
Regarding lights, we decided to use a single but big LED instead found in of three smaller but brighter lights, due to the limited current we are able to generate with the system. The LED we used is found in a standard Arduino kit.
– MN and MD