For this past week we have been struggling with the creation of two CAD models. Most of the time has been spent making a model based on the concept ‘Safe Choice’, since many components from this could be used in other desigs, namely the fixation of the motor as well as the gears. The gears were designed using a built in plugin in Inkscape.
Following an approach based on trial and error, we printed the parts, tested how well they fit each other and adjusted the tolerances. We have been using both ABS and PLA printers in this process.
After testing different existing designs from last year as well our on, semi-assembled printed model, we decided to rule out the Skralde-concept, since making it work properly would require an envelope that would be significantly bigger than for any of the other concepts. We did, however, create a CAD model of the ‘Pump’ concept as planned. This was based on the CAD model of the first concept.
We used the ABS printers at Skylab to create the initial exterior for the ‘Safe choice’ concept as well as the gears.
Regarding the electronics, we went to Ikea and bought the Ikea Ljusa for inspiration. Inside it we found a capacitor that we would like to implement in our design. The biggest obstacle we will have to overcome before this is possible, is that the Ljusa gets its power from an AC generator. Hence, the following days will be spent finding a solution for this as well as coming up with a better, more user friendly exterior for our design, after which we will create and print the final CAD model.
– MN and MD